About Me:

My name is Katherine Perkins and I'm a Junior at the University of South Alabama majoring in Special Education K-6.I have been wanting to be a teacher since I was younger. I was born and raised in Birmingham, AL. This spring semester(Spring 2010) I have gotten the opportunity to gain experience from a special education classroom. I have really enjoyed gaining a lot of information from the other special education teachers. I knew that there was a lot of work going into being a special education, but I haven't quit yet and I doubt I will. Being a teacher is definitely a dream of mine and I hope to be a great teacher.

Why I want to become a Special Education Teacher

Ever since I was a little girl I have enjoyed school and learning. Since my love of being in a classroom to learn, I knew that becoming a teacher would fit me just right. I have never talked about having any other career except being a teacher. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, but teaching. I was the type of child who would play school all day. That was my favorite game, regardless if I was playing with others or by myself with my dolls. I was so into playing school that I when my mom purchased our first computer and printer I would actually type up an attendance with fake names on it and call role. I was really into it. Well I have grown up and I'm ready to stop playing school and actually start teaching children.

I never knew what I actually wanted to teach, I always thought perhaps math because I was good in math, but I was a bit skeptical of teaching math. I wanted to make sure before I graduated from high school that I knew which field I was going into when I started college. I didn't want to start off in college with having an undecided major. I knew that I wanted to teach in an elementary school setting. So I knew that I would get to teach math along with the other subjects, but that still wasn't enough for me.

I thought long and hard about who I wanted to teach in the elementary school. I remembered back when I was in elementary school and I how I felt when I got the opportunity to help and go on field trips with the special needs children. I felt that I was doing something right and that job would fit me in the future. So there it is, special education will be my career. I don't look at special education as being a career, but more of new opportunity for me. It's not about the money to me, if it was then I would be in medical or law school right now.

Becoming a special education teacher has become like a dream of mine. It's my passion. I want to change the way special needs children learn. I want to provide them with more opportunities than they already have. I want to teach them more about technology like other children. I look at special needs children as being special not because they have a disability, but because they are special just like all children. I want to give them the opportunity to learn so much about the world just like other children. Most importantly, I want my students to know that they are able to do and be anything they set their mind too. They can make a difference if they want to.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My methods of Teaching

I would like for all of my students to be able to learn and know what they are learning. I do not believe that every student learns the same way. Some students learn and understand a lesson through hands on activities and others can read something and understand. We all learn different ways and I would like to teach them through different methods. I can understand a lesson if I learn it through visual learning.

Since I have learned so much from my technology class, I would like to bring the technology I learned into my classroom and introduce it to my students. I know that they could learn something through the technological tools I show them.

Class Blog- I would like to create a blog for the students in my class. It would be available for parents to look at their child's work and see how much they are learning. Also if a student is absent they can look back at their class blog and see what exactly they missed that day they were absent.

There are so many educational websites available that would be very helpful to any student and I will use those websites to create activities and assignments for my students.

I'm really looking forward to teaching and getting to know my students. I really hope that I can make some type of impact in my students lives and give them helpful information that they can do anything they set their mind too.

No comments:

Post a Comment